Friday, February 1, 2008

Into the Pink

Monday evening I found myself sitting in a hotel meeting room with about 30 other women, waiting. Anxious, I started chitchatting with one next to me. “So why are you here?” I ask. Before she could answer me, a tall curvy woman with Texas-style hair (come on, you know what that is) came strutting in. She eased her fur off of her body and onto a chair, then walked to the front of the room. “Welcome to Mary Kay! I am so delighted to see such a wonderful group of professional women in the room!”

Okay okay. It’s not like I sought Mary Kay out or anything. Please. The only Mary Kay product I’ve used is eyeliner I bought from a friend in the late-nineties (scary thing…I only recently threw it out). Especially since I have been using mostly ‘natural’ products (Terressentials, Aveda, Aubrey Organics), I really have no use for MK.

The reason I was there is this: I fell for a dumb pickup line.

Flashback to a week ago. I was walking into Whole Foods and a woman stops me. “May I just comment that you have an incredible look, so poised. What kind of work do you do?" I’m thinking, man those modeling classes I took in college finally paid off! “Sales”, I say out loud. “I’m not surprised”, she tells me, “you just have a great look.” She then goes on to say that she works for Mary Kay, some director position, and that with 20,000 of their workforce retiring over the next 10 years, they really want to bring in some new blood. “Forget everything you know about Mary Kay.” Suckered, I give her my phone number.

Two days later, she calls. I don’t pick up. A day after that, she calls again. I pick up. “Hi! It’s Michelle from Mary Kay. I was wondering if you would be interested in meeting with me to see if this is an opportunity you’re willing to explore.” I explain to her that I am actually interested in leaving sales, not getting into another sales job. “Oh, this isn’t sales, this is more training.” So now I’m thinking, oh this must be a corporate job. I’ll just meet with her. We schedule a meeting for Monday night at the W Hotel. She even sent me an email beforehand stating that she was able to ‘rearrange her schedule’ so we can meet.

That, my friends, is how I found myself listening to a 2 hour presentation Monday night. I felt deceived by Michelle, thinking that she actually wanted to talk to me personally. All she was trying to do is recruit me so that she would get a percentage of what I bought and sold for Mary Kay. It is nothing more than a pyramid scheme!! I found this anti-MK website that is very interesting.


Anyway, after the presentation, Michelle tried to talk to me about my $100 investment to become a Mary Kay gal. I told her that I needed to talk to my husband and got the hell out of there. I emailed her the next day to say thanks but no thanks.

That is the last time I fall for some dumb compliment.
**BTW, THIS is Texas-style hair (coincidentally, this is the woman who spoke)


No comments: