Tuesday, February 5, 2008

vampires beware

I finally caught a cold late last week. I say finally because Darren has been sick for what seems like the last month and I think I got it from him.

Last night I made myself a concoction of hot water, lime juice (because I don't have any lemons), honey and cayenne pepper. Then I cut up a clove of garlic, and threw that in, too. Tasty. After I drank it up, I ate half of the garlic. Garlic is supposed to have some incredible healing properties. Now maybe my body was already healing itself, but I feel tons better today! So good, in fact, that on my way to pick up lunch, I couldn't help but stop at the Pier One store closing sale and look around. Didn't buy anything, but it says a lot that I actually stopped to shop.

So I would highly recommend the above recipe. Warning: the garlic does linger. I ate it last night and since then brushed my teeth twice and gargled with mouthwash. Still Darren could smell it when I kissed him goodbye this morning. How embarrassing!

On another note, below is a list of the ten fruits/veggies that have the most and least pesticide residue. If you must buy non-organic produce, make sure they're on the second list.

HIGHEST PESTICIDE CONTAMINATION:
1. (worst) Peaches 100 (highest pesticide load)

2. Apples 96
3. Sweet Bell Peppers 86
4. Celery 85
5. Nectarines 84
6. Strawberries 83
7. Cherries 75
8. Lettuce 69
9. Grapes - Imported 68
10. Pears 65

LOWEST PESTICIDE CONTAMINATION:
10. Cabbage 17

9. Bananas 16
8. Kiwi 14
7. Asparagus 11
6. Sweet Peas-Frozen 11
5. Mango 9
4. Pineapples 7
3. Sweet Corn-Frozen 2
2. Avocado 1
1. (best) Onions 1 (lowest pesticide load)

No comments: