Friday, February 29, 2008

Here’s a little unsolicited right-wing propaganda for ya

Let me just preface this post by saying that I am crazy about my father-in-law. However, in true Pence fashion, if you’re going to dish it, you’d better be able to take whatever’s coming. I know he reads my blog from time to time…

This week my father-in-law printed out an article to give to me and Darren. It was printed, one-sided, on five sheets of paper (all that methane gas released as it decomposes; what was he thinking?). I think he was afraid that if he emailed it, we might just hit ‘delete’ and not bother to read it. But I digress. The article can be found here. It basically states that environmentalists are crazy opportunists who will take any research and use it to their left-wing agenda (right-wing extremists never do this, of course).

It is no secret that Darren and I are concerned about the environment. I go to great lengths to do things which I believe will limit my impact on the earth. I don’t consider myself better than everyone else, and by no means am I perfect. I try to do the ‘live by example’ thing. I endure ridicule by my conservative coworkers because I recycle my office paper. I put up with the smells on MARTA three days a week so I don’t drive so much. I spend more money on food because eating organic is important to me.

Darren and I are not activists. We don’t preach to friends, family or co-workers. We really only share our beliefs if someone asks. If someone asks, though, we both can get pretty passionate on the topic. I think that we are both pretty open-minded, too. If you tell me that I am absolutely wrong (yes it does happen), I will acknowledge that I should research the subject more.

D’s dad, however, feels the need to express his opinion on the environment a lot. I think it’s the ‘offensive defensive’ approach. I don’t think he really thinks he’ll get us to change our crazy hippie ways, but just likes to insert a jab now and then to see how we respond. We usually don’t (but today’s his lucky day!).

Anyway, my point is that I really don’t care how much research people are doing to prove or disprove global warming. You can spin anything. You know what, I don't even care if there is no global warming. That is not my motivation for being conscientious of how I treat our environment. I don’t think anybody can argue that doing things that conserve a little of what is limited on this great Mother Earth can do any harm. However, I cannot say the same for the status quo.

No comments: