Thursday, November 15, 2007

I want I want I want

Marketplace has been running a week-long series called "Consumed". I just love Marketplace. I love Kai Ryssdal's voice; it is so soothing and reassuring. Sigh!

The series addresses Americans' over-consumption habit.

D and I try not to consume too much, but sometimes we're not that good at it. He loves outdoor gear and clothes, and I get caught up once in a while in a clothing shopping 'frenzy'. Still we try.

Our friend Magali hit the nail on the head with her most recent post. People just want to buy buy buy. How much stuff does a baby need? I am adamant that if and when we have a baby, I am going to insist on getting everything used (except for maybe a breast pump!). There is no need to register for stuff, no need to make such a big deal and spend hundreds of dollars buying stuff and no need to spend time and money doing over-the-top decorations for the baby's room.

Another example is Christmas. No longer a day for enjoying family and the spirit of giving, it is now spent opening one present after another. There is not even time to look at a present for more than a second before attention is turned to the next wrapped box. What is going on here?? Our children are no longer grateful; they're demanding and expectant.

Off of my soapbox...anyway, the "Consumed" programs have been extremely enlightening and alarming. I now have even more to worry about in the middle of the night. Check it out.

No comments: